Faculty of Geological Engineering was established in 1959 as Geology Program Study under Faculty of Exact and Natural Science, Universitas Padjadjaran. The main founder was Mayor Jendral (Purn) Prof. Dr. Moestopo and Drs. M. Koesmono. The official activities were started on November 17th, 1959 with 17 students. The activities was maintained by permanent lecturer such as Drs. Koesmono and three other lecturers which were Dr. S. Sartono, Drs. R. Soeria-Atmadja and Drs. S. Asikin.
In 1997, according to the decree of Directorate of Higher Education, there are two study programs which are Geological Engineering Program Study and Geology Program Study under supervision of Faculty of Exact and Natural Science. Hence, the two programs were merged into one program named Geological Engineering.
Since December 12th, 2007, Geological Science set apart from Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science and changed its name into Faculty of Geological Engineering. Until today, Faculty of Geological Engineering Unpad has been gained the credibility and recognition from the public. It is proven by the number of students and alumni that is increasing over time.
Faculty of Geological Engineering Universitas Padjadjaran is a higher educational institution focused on the learning and development of geological science. It is oriented in creating link and match pattern.
Faculty of Geological Engineering performs a Master’s degree in Geological Engineering Program Study according to the decree of Directorate of Higher Education no. 1688/D/T/2009 prolonged in 2011. From 2011, Faculty of Geological Engineering organizes Doctoral program in Geological Engineering according to the Decree of Minister of National Education no. 101/E/O/2011. The management of Master’s and Doctoral program in the field of geological science is formerly performed by Graduate Program of Universitas Padjadjaran.